Saturday 14 January 2012

Evaluation of Preliminary College Magazine - Front Cover and Contents Page

An existing magazine that I looked at for inspiration was The Source. I liked the idea of this magazine having a particular colour scheme so I decided to incorporate this convention into my own magazine by having an indigo-black colour scheme in order to maintain a house style. Also, I overlapped some of the layers. For example, the main image on the front cover of my magazine has been overlapped with the masthead, which is another convention that I took a liking to from The Source magazine. I thought that the main image stood out well in this way as its importance was highlighted by overlapping it with the masthead. 


By doing this project, the main things that I have learnt to do are how to cut and feather images and make them sharper by altering the brightness/contrast. In addition, I've developed the ability to arrange layers in an appropriate way. 


The aspects of my preliminary work that I feel were successful was how I arranged the layers and the usage of a specific colour scheme. Moreover, the size of the images were altered suitably and enhancing techniques had been used to make them look clearer. The font sizes and styles of the cover lines on the front cover look eye-catching and make it look exciting and busy as well.   


However, several improvements could have been made. The edges of the images on both the front cover and contents page could have been smoothed out more and I also think that the contents page looks quite dull, as it doesn't really have a professional layout. Therefore, it could have been improved by dividing the page numbers and names into different sections with different headings in order to make it look more attractive and easier for the readers to spot a subject they want to read about. Furthermore, the image on the contents page could have been edited as the flash is shown to have reflected off the model's glasses.    


     

No comments:

Post a Comment